Music of My Soul: From The White to The Black Album
Keywords:Hanif Kureishi, leisure, youth culture, music, cultural identity
The beginning of the 1960s was known for the change in the ideological matrix in Britain. The new political situation helped society change its attitude and become more open to the events that would come later. It was also a period marked by rapid and radical cultural changes. Pop culture became a way of life for young people, causing profound changes in their attitudes toward leisure and, as a result, affecting various spheres of life. The paper deals with the impact of popular culture on Hanif Kureishi, the writer of mixed-race identity. The special focus is on the impact of music and the musicians of the time Kureishi features in his writings: their texts, clothes, and style. By intertwining fine arts and literature with performing arts and music, Kureishi generates cultural identity.
How to Cite
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors are confirming that they are the authors of the submitting article, which will be published (print and online) in Belgrade English Language and Literature Studies by the Faculty of Philology, University of Belgrade (Faculty of Philology, Studentski trg 3, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia). Author’s name will be evident in the printed article in the journal. All decisions regarding layout and distribution of the work are in hands of the publisher.
- Authors guarantee that the work is their own original creation and does not infringe any statutory or common-law copyright or any proprietary right of any third party. In case of claims by third parties, authors commit their self to defend the interests of the publisher, and shall cover any potential costs.
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work.